2. Reconstitute mushrooms in 4 cups hot water for 1/2 hour.
3. Agitate mushrooms in water to settle grit @ bottom of bowl, place mushrooms aside, strain and reserve liquid.
4. To onions, add celery, carrots, leeks, seasoning, and cook 5 minutes.
5. Add remaining water, mushrooms and liquid, bring to boil and simmer one hour.
6. Strain stock and reduce as needed.
From "The Meat Lover's Vegetarian Cookbook" by Steven Ferry & Tanya Petrovna.
Used for flavorings in mock-meat recipes (vegetarian or otherwise) that call for certain types of vegetarian stocks, aside from plain ole vegetable.
posted by Megan Milligan